Wanted species 2019

Being a true beetlebreeder also means you can not get enough of these weird creatures. Despite breeding about 20 species, for me there are always some species that I want to have a shot at. In this post I sum up some of the species I've been wanting for a long time. Hopefully by spreading this message I hope to find some of them. Exchange or buy are possibilities. Feel free to contact me on Facebook or by mail should you have one of these species available

Cetonia aurata pisana from Corse:
Specifically from Corse that is! A common species, that shows a superb range of variations on the island of Corse. Some of these were included in a previous post. They can range from the normal green, to blue, orange, red, black,.. The great variation of this population is very promising to have in breeding, as it would make selecting on form and isolating specific traits possible with even small populations.
I plan going to corse next year with my girl to catch some. With a little help from some French friends I might already get some of them this year.

Cyprolais cornuta:
Cyprolais is a subgenus of genus eudicella. They have very similar body composition but have different, smaller horns. They also have an atypical headshape. The species C. hornimanni and C. aurata are very commonly bred in Europe. Cyprolais cornuta was also bred in Europe, but now I can't find a trace of them anymore. Cyprolais cornuta has a brown/beige body with 4 dots on the elytrae. A picture of a male head below. Photo credit: Allen Lusby.
I would really love to breed this species, they are probably number 2 on my wanted list.











Cheirolasia burkei:
An African goliathini with hornshape somewhat comparable to dicronorrhina sp. Black, beige and white pattern. Males have very long front legs with hairypacthes on the tarsi.
This species poses some difficulty in breeding, as they die easily during pupation. Very dry inorganic substrates is necessary in this stage. I tried breeding this species. Pupation went not too good. They went together in pupation but all took a different time to become adult. Starting from 10 pupal cells I had 6 beetles. First a male who was ahead of the group. When this one passed came some females. When they passed again a male. Bad synchronisation to which I sadly lost this species. Want to try again! Below some pictures of the pupal cells



Mecynorhina savagei:
Ah, the beloved Mecynorhina genus. Plenty of beetles within this genus are on my wishlist, but for the moment it is M. savagei that I want te most. It is the absolute number one on my breeding wishlist. Nicely yellow-green striped and a more gently formed grey horn. Some years ago after an import these beetles where seen much more frequently in European breeding. Now they are seldom seen. Mecynorhina females are rather shy egg-layers. They deposit anywhere from 10-25 eggs per female.

Pachnoda thoracica:
A nice pachnoda species with deep yellow colour in the thorcacic shield, and deep red/purple/black elytrae. Very deep colourations. they are sporadically seen in breeding in Europe. There is thus a captive population, but the amount of larvae that is sold each year is relatively small.

Protaetia angustata:
One of the few common European Protaetia sp. that I have never got in breeding.
Getting them mustn't be too hard. The season is comming in takes only one guy, in the right place, with knowledge of the right trapping methods to get them. Is he reading :) ?

I cross my fingers in the hope of finding some these beauties.

Regards




Comments

Popular Posts